The Cupid that is iconic Candies in Oak Lawn, a landmark on Chicago’s South Side, will shut after 64 wonderful years on Sunday, Sept. 27.
By Lorraine Swanson , Patch Staff
OAK LAWN, IL вЂ” Say it ain’t so! Cupid sweets will shut after 64 years on 95th Street in Oak Lawn. One of many final regarding the iconic candy that is old-line regarding the South Side, Cupid Candies, 4709 95th St., will shut its doorways on Sunday.
Cupid Candies had been created in 1936 because of the Paul that is late Stefanos. Their bro, Leo, would go on to invent the Dove bar. The store that is first at 79th Street and Ashland Avenue regarding the Southern Side, where just fudge, toffee and popcorn had been offered. By 1940, Paul along with his spouse, Pauline, exposed another shop at 3207 W. 63rd St., along side a manufacturing that is small, in line with the business’s web site.
The household proceeded to cultivate Cupid Candies, transferring 1943 to 3143 W. 63rd St. in Chicago.
The organization expanded once more in 1956 having a brand new plant at 7637 S. Western Ave., where in actuality the candy factory nevertheless runs today.
The operated and family-owned Cupid Candies produced quality chocolates, pea nuts, sweets and ice cream from the www.sugardaddyforme factory on Western Avenue in Gresham. The founder that is late son, John Stefanos, could be the business president.
Going to the Oak Lawn shop on Thursday afternoon, the racks remained well stocked with the hand-dipped, classic candy lines, such as for instance Turks вЂ” sharp pecans and soft caramel groups dipped in milk chocolate вЂ” so called since the title Turtles had been trademarked, and cream and butter fudge made daily. It absolutely was barely the “everything must go” liquidation scavenging we have grown familiar with.
Each with its own distinctive swirl on the top under glass were rows of chocolate creams of all varieties, chewy centers, nut clusters and confections. A worker was opening boxes of big, red strawberries inside the ice cream parlor.
Since 1956, the Oak Lawn Cupid Candies вЂ” using its antique frozen dessert parlor and soda water water fountain вЂ” ended up being in which you stopped by to pick a box up of Turks to bring to your North Side family relations on Christmas time, or enjoyed a sundae and a malted after a film during the Coral Theatre.
The Orland Park shop, at 9420 W. 143rd St., will stay available, because will the candies that are cupid on Western Avenue when you look at the Southern Side Gresham community.
Stephanie Hart, the dog owner and discovered of Brown glucose Bakery in Chicago, bought out of the historic candy that is 84-year-old on Western Avenue in June. Her Brown glucose bakery is really a popular destination for black colored meals tradition into the town.
Hearing that John Stefanos had been trying to find a customer, Hart bought the candies that are cupid for $500,000, utilizing a grant she received through the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic chance, BlackBusiness com reported.
Hart additionally acquired the liberties to Cupid Candies’ brand and items. Plans are to mix the 2 brands together.
Based on BlackBusiness com, the 20-plus workers regarding the candy business will remain on to make all of the ice chocolate and cream services and products of Cupid sweets and cakes of Brown glucose Bakery.
While not since cool as relaxing all over soft drink water water fountain on a hot summer time afternoon, fans will remain able to buy a common Cupid Candies online. The Cupid sweets tradition will stay making use of their initial key household recipes, designed to use just the best, premium ingredients.
If you’d like to have sundae for supper or get that Christmas time field of Turks, Cupid Candies will likely be open from noon to 8 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 25 to Sept. 27.
MODIFICATION: the organization reached off to Patch to allow us understand that the Orland Park shop at 9420 W. 143rd St. will remain available. Very good news.